We are going to post a running total of the number of exposures that we have taken. It will help us and you understand the progress that we are making.
You may remember seeing the black apron that Grandpa wears while filming. The record books are made of red leather. They are old enough that they shed a lot on my clothes so I wear my black cooking apron. A guy in the hallway of the courthouse looked at me with interest a few weeks ago. I passed him a again a few minutes later and he said, "are you cookin, if you are where do I go?" Sadly, I had to tell him no and we had a good laugh together. Since then, I have been asked several more times, "are you cookin?" They consistently ask me in those words. They don't ask if I am a cook. The other day there was a group of people in the vault looking at records. Again, one of the men asked, "are you cookin?" I said, "Yes, I'm cookin' the books". Another man in the room said, "don't even use those words. I lost a fortune to ENRON." I apologized for reminding him of his misfortune and we all had a good laugh again. As it often does, these friendly conversations turn to opportunities to explain what we are doing. I then was able to tell everyone that we were volunteers filming these old records which eventually they would be able access online in Family Search. They were very pleased and I was happy to be able exposure the good that the Church is doing around the world to preserve historic records.
THE BELTWAY MARATHON
Our whirl-wind trip to Delaware was a bit crazy. We drove 3042 miles in five days involving 52 hours of driving. We called our Mission President, Nolan Taylor, for approval. He was very supportive and sent us with his blessing and prayers. The trip did get a bit grueling toward the last. Grandma and Grandpa enjoy driving and we made the very best of a long trip. We have include the highlights here for you.
OUR STAY AT THE
SOUTHERN PYNES PLANTATION AND INN
Okay, this was the most enjoyable part of our trip. We imposed ourselves on our long time and dear friends, Ivan and Jackie Pyne, in Nashville. They didn't just put us up, they overwhelmed us with consideration and caring, as they always have.
Friends watch out for you. They do important things for you when they see a need. They also do the most kind acts when you least expect it. Normally, friendships try to maintain some reasonable balance between the kindnesses that they share. Well, not so with the Pynes. It is impossible to keep us with them. I have quite counting with them. I learned some time ago that they never were counting. That is the difference. That is what makes the difference between just acquaintances and enduring friendships.
We stayed with them Wednesday night and returned to spend Saturday evening and Sunday morning with them. While there, we laughed a lot, talked and laughed about our children and grandchildren, enjoyed the most delicious homemade biscuits and gravy, clam chowder, homemade bread, and meatball sandwiches. Of course we spent most of our time together eating. As good as the food was, it did not compare to the talks that we had.
We left them on Sunday morning with meatball sandwiches to die for, spice rub, a case of Amish preserves, relishes, and pickles, sunflower seeds, and snacks for traveling that would feed the multitudes. Once again thanks, Ivan and Jackie, for your gracious care of us.
A THANKFUL OKLAHOMA THANKSGIVING
We, along with 5 other couple missionaries were invited to the home of our friends, the Bithels, for Thanksgiving. Remember the Bithels are the Missionaries that work in the Mission home who took such good care of us when we arrived. They had the swimming pool. We had a very enjoyable day in their home. It was very nice to meet and talk with some of the other mission couples. To our surprise Clair Larkin and his wife, from Smithfield met with us. Some of our children and the Pynes may remember him as Principle Larkin or Mr. Larkin of Wellsville Elementary School or South Cache Middle School. They are serving at Fort Sill Military Base giving support to members and investigators who come to the base for basic training. We had a great time reminiscing and laughing together.
Sister Bithel served a great Thanksgiving dinner. She also made sure that we stayed around, after everyone else had gone, to give us a bunch of leftovers. They have quickly become dear friends.
We certainly missed the love and familiarity of Thanksgiving with our own family. We thought of you all throughout the day.
WEEKLY HISTORY LESSON -
DID YOU KNOW THAT:
1. My TRUCK TO REMEMBER
Did you know that I had a truck just like this when Grandma and Grandpa were first married, in 1968. When I bought the truck it was not in very good condition, but I wanted a project. Uncle Kerry Johnsen helped me overall the engine in Grandma and Grandpa Palmer's carport in Tremonton. I should say that Uncle Kerry taught me how to completely overhaul the engine. He is a great teacher and my good friend. When we got it back together it ran great, except it had a funny whistle sound that we could not figure out. Neither of us wanted to tear it apart again so we left it that way. It became my whistling pickup truck. I used the truck to hunt, fish, train my bird dog, camp, and get back and forth to Utah State University. During this time, I fixed the body, took all of the parts of the body and removed the rust. I sanded and primed the body for painting. I drove it to Ogden, masked everything for painting, and then had it painted, this color, for $99. I had to sell it, along with my bird dog when we moved to Maryland. I miss them both. The dog has long since died, but a wish I still had this truck.
2. BROOKLYN'S VIETNAM LETTER
Did you also know how Grandpa was wounded in Vietnam? Brooklyn wrote Grandpa this letter a few weeks ago as she was preparing for a school project for Veteran's Day. Here is her letter and Grandpa's response.
Love,
Hi Brooklyn, I am so happy that you chose me to be your veteran. Please thank your teacher for making this important for your class. The enemy, Viet Cong soldiers, lived and moved around in underground rooms and tunnels. In some cases there were underground highways below the jungle. They actually accomplished amazing things underground. The soldiers for the US Army stayed above ground in trucks, tanks, airplanes and mostly walked. The group of soldiers, that I was with, moved around mostly in helicopters. When we saw enemy troops on the ground the helicopter pilots would land quickly and let us out. We would then try to find the Viet Cong soldiers in the jungle, in villages, and sometimes in rice paddies. When we found them we would take them back to our camp and put them in a prison to keep them from killing more of our soldiers. If they would not come with us as prisoners they would try to shoot us and then we would fight back. One day we were trying to find some unusually tough North Vietnam soldiers, called NVA (North Vietnamese Army). They were well equipped and well trained in combat. I was the leader of a small group of 10 soldiers. We came upon a small village and needed to search the village because we were told that enemy soldiers were seen in the area. My men and I went into a small house called a "hootch". As we cautiously entered the kitchen area I saw a flash of a hand come from a hole in the floor, I heard a thud on the dirt floor and saw a grenade that the hand had thrown. I yelled to my men,"grenade, get out". I had to make sure all of my men were out, which meant that I was the last to run out of the hootch. I was able to run just a few yards before the grenade exploded. A piece of heavy, jagged metal, from the grenade hit me in the shoulder. It was not a serious wound. It bled a bunch and the medic (field doctor) put a large bandage on it. I was very lucky or I should say blessed. I did not have to go to the Army hospital. When we got back to the our base camp that night I was given a few shots to prevent infection from the wound. I was working in the field with my men the next day. That piece of metal is still in my shoulder today.
ONLY IN OKLAHOMA SPOT
Oklahoma Railroad Ranchettes
This is the most convenient and cost effective residential living that I have seen anywhere. You just find an abandoned railroad track with some abandoned freight cars, move them far enough away from each other so that you can not hear your neighbor snore, and move in.
Only in Oklahoma and Logan!
CHANCE MEETING
WITH THE OTHER ELDERS
So, we went into Oklahoma City on Saturday to pick some things at Sam's Club. We, most often, drive in on Route 66 rather than take the freeway. We had noticed a retro diner called "Steaks and Shakes" several times before and decided with should check this place out. So on our way home in the afternoon, we stopped. As we walked in, nothing was more noticeable than 5 young men sitting in a booth in dark suits. We introduced ourselves and seat ourselves at a table nearby. Were had a nice conversation with them. They told us that the best offering at the diner was the Burger Royale. A giant burger with a fried egg atop. When the waiter delivered their order the burger was at least 6"high. We could not face this kind of eating, so we ordered somethings much smaller. As the order was delivered to the Elders, Grandma said we should have bought their meals. I got up and found the waiter and told him to include their meal with ours. He looked rather puzzled and also reluctant. He looked back at the Elders and said they know something was up. Obviously, the Elders were frequent flyers at this place and with him. I think he was afraid of upsetting the Elders. I assured him that everything would be all right. The Elders were greatly appreciative. Lesson to be learned : IF YOU WANT TO KNOW WERE THE BEST FOOD VALUE IS, FOLLOW THE MISSIONARIES. ('food value' does not always equate to good food health. Food value hear means greatest quantity for the lowest price).
TRUST OF A GRANDCHILD
The other night Grandpa had a dream that one of his grandchildren was concerned about being able to trust the word of others. I could not identify which of my grandchildren was in the dream, but it was clear that I was talking to one of my grandchildren. I could not identify whether this was a grandson or granddaughter. This child had, some how, been hurt by an adult who they had faith and trust in. An important promise had been made and then unkept. This grandchild was looking to me for some reassurance, and restoration of trust that had been lost. Whatever happen must have been a life changing event because this child had fear in their eyes and facial expressions to indicate that no one could be trusted anymore. A terrible prospect for anyone. This child now felt all alone and was desperate for the loving comfort that comes to a child when faith and trust are constantly reinforced. I told the child that I could not control the actions of any one person except my own. That I could not take back the staggering hurt that had been experienced. I remember looking into this child's tearful eyes and saying, " But, You can trust Grandpa. You can rely on Grandpa. I will give my life, if required, to protect and honor your trust in me". The child's expression became a sweet and a longing smile of reassurance. We enjoyed a tearful embrace. I am presenting this experience here because it may have some meaning to my family or it may not. For me, I have not yet determined a purpose or whether there even is a purpose. Sometimes learning the meaning of things takes a while. Never the less, I thought it should be recorded.
SO LONG,FAREWELL, UNTIL NEXT POST
Love You ALL!
Please Review Our Post About Lillian, the previous post.
You may remember seeing the black apron that Grandpa wears while filming. The record books are made of red leather. They are old enough that they shed a lot on my clothes so I wear my black cooking apron. A guy in the hallway of the courthouse looked at me with interest a few weeks ago. I passed him a again a few minutes later and he said, "are you cookin, if you are where do I go?" Sadly, I had to tell him no and we had a good laugh together. Since then, I have been asked several more times, "are you cookin?" They consistently ask me in those words. They don't ask if I am a cook. The other day there was a group of people in the vault looking at records. Again, one of the men asked, "are you cookin?" I said, "Yes, I'm cookin' the books". Another man in the room said, "don't even use those words. I lost a fortune to ENRON." I apologized for reminding him of his misfortune and we all had a good laugh again. As it often does, these friendly conversations turn to opportunities to explain what we are doing. I then was able to tell everyone that we were volunteers filming these old records which eventually they would be able access online in Family Search. They were very pleased and I was happy to be able exposure the good that the Church is doing around the world to preserve historic records.
![]() |
| Sunrise over the Atlantic Ocean and the beach. |
Our whirl-wind trip to Delaware was a bit crazy. We drove 3042 miles in five days involving 52 hours of driving. We called our Mission President, Nolan Taylor, for approval. He was very supportive and sent us with his blessing and prayers. The trip did get a bit grueling toward the last. Grandma and Grandpa enjoy driving and we made the very best of a long trip. We have include the highlights here for you.
![]() |
| This was a two hour, eight mile beltway traffic jam in Washington DC. |
![]() |
| The hotel and beach boardwalk at Ocean City where we stayed on Thursday night before the funeral. I took an early morning walk but the boardwalk was so iced that I could hardly stand up. |
![]() |
| Crossing the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. Something we did many times with great enjoyment when we lived here. |
![]() |
| We wanted to stay for a day longer and go to our favorite temple, the Washington DC Temple. Many of you know the story behind our attachment here. Maybe we will get to that story one of these days. |
OUR STAY AT THE
SOUTHERN PYNES PLANTATION AND INN
Okay, this was the most enjoyable part of our trip. We imposed ourselves on our long time and dear friends, Ivan and Jackie Pyne, in Nashville. They didn't just put us up, they overwhelmed us with consideration and caring, as they always have.
![]() |
| Grandma Judy and Grandma Jackie are headed for the spectacular view overlooking the Cumberland River. |
![]() |
This is the new deck, just completed this summer. It is a
great addition to an already great back yard. It is my
favorite place when we visit. It may just be my
favorite place.
|
We left them on Sunday morning with meatball sandwiches to die for, spice rub, a case of Amish preserves, relishes, and pickles, sunflower seeds, and snacks for traveling that would feed the multitudes. Once again thanks, Ivan and Jackie, for your gracious care of us.
![]() |
| The Petersons (Hooper, UT) on the left, the Larkins (Smithfield) in the center and Grandma on the right. |
![]() |
| The Bithels (Edmond,OK) back left, the Eniss (Mesa, AZ) right and the Binghams (Pocatello,ID) center front. |
![]() |
| Sister Larkin, Clair Larkin, Gerald Perterson and Kathlene (Tingy) Peterson |
We certainly missed the love and familiarity of Thanksgiving with our own family. We thought of you all throughout the day.
WEEKLY HISTORY LESSON -
DID YOU KNOW THAT:
1. My TRUCK TO REMEMBER
![]() |
| Grandpa found this truck in a parking lot. It is almost identical, even the color, to my 1956 Chev pickup that I owned. |
2. BROOKLYN'S VIETNAM LETTER
Did you also know how Grandpa was wounded in Vietnam? Brooklyn wrote Grandpa this letter a few weeks ago as she was preparing for a school project for Veteran's Day. Here is her letter and Grandpa's response.
Dear Grandpa,
Thank you for fighting in the war.
I am so grateful that you fought in the war for our freedom. I am happy you served in the military in Vietnam. Also I want to tell you that you are the best person in our family that fought in a war. I am sorry that you have been wounded in the shoulder but at least you did it for a good cause, also that you might have had to wait a long time for someone to come help you feel better. How did you get wounded? How long was till you felt better? Again I am happy that you fought for our freedom and that you helped South Vietnam. How did you get around, did you dig a tunnel? How was the country of Vietnam?
I love you so much and again I am proud you helped South Vietnam.
Love you.
Brooklyn : (PS. Please have or read it to grandpa. :)
Hi Brooklyn, I am so happy that you chose me to be your veteran. Please thank your teacher for making this important for your class. The enemy, Viet Cong soldiers, lived and moved around in underground rooms and tunnels. In some cases there were underground highways below the jungle. They actually accomplished amazing things underground. The soldiers for the US Army stayed above ground in trucks, tanks, airplanes and mostly walked. The group of soldiers, that I was with, moved around mostly in helicopters. When we saw enemy troops on the ground the helicopter pilots would land quickly and let us out. We would then try to find the Viet Cong soldiers in the jungle, in villages, and sometimes in rice paddies. When we found them we would take them back to our camp and put them in a prison to keep them from killing more of our soldiers. If they would not come with us as prisoners they would try to shoot us and then we would fight back. One day we were trying to find some unusually tough North Vietnam soldiers, called NVA (North Vietnamese Army). They were well equipped and well trained in combat. I was the leader of a small group of 10 soldiers. We came upon a small village and needed to search the village because we were told that enemy soldiers were seen in the area. My men and I went into a small house called a "hootch". As we cautiously entered the kitchen area I saw a flash of a hand come from a hole in the floor, I heard a thud on the dirt floor and saw a grenade that the hand had thrown. I yelled to my men,"grenade, get out". I had to make sure all of my men were out, which meant that I was the last to run out of the hootch. I was able to run just a few yards before the grenade exploded. A piece of heavy, jagged metal, from the grenade hit me in the shoulder. It was not a serious wound. It bled a bunch and the medic (field doctor) put a large bandage on it. I was very lucky or I should say blessed. I did not have to go to the Army hospital. When we got back to the our base camp that night I was given a few shots to prevent infection from the wound. I was working in the field with my men the next day. That piece of metal is still in my shoulder today.
I am grateful that I was able to serve my country. I did not want to go to war and I did not enjoy many of the things that I had to do. But it was my duty to my country to keep us free from people who want to take away everything that is precious to us,- freedom, our homes, the ability to choose for ourselves, what we want to do, and what we want to be. That is important. I was willing to die for those that I loved, so that they could be free. I would do the same today.
![]() |
| This was a beautiful fishing village on the coast of the South China Sea. We found a group of suspected Viet Cong here. Fortunately there was no fighting and this village was not damaged. |
You asked about the country and the people. I loved Vietnam. The land was beautiful and so were the people. I hated to see the destruction of the country that war often brings. Wars are never good. But sometimes it is necessary to protect us from bad leaders. I have found that people in other countries are mostly good people, like us. It is their leaders that often cause them to do bad things. I saw many innocent people get hurt in the war. That hurt me also. We did all that we could to protect the innocent people. Vietnam had beautiful mountains, great green jungles, endless rice fields, and magnificent beaches and coasts where villagers lived from the sea. I have always wanted to go back to see the people and the country now that they have healed. Thanks for asking. I love you, Grandpa. By the way, I think you are one of those good ones that is worth fight for.
ONLY IN OKLAHOMA SPOT
Oklahoma Railroad Ranchettes
![]() |
This is the entrance scene from our apartment as
we come and go
|
This is the most convenient and cost effective residential living that I have seen anywhere. You just find an abandoned railroad track with some abandoned freight cars, move them far enough away from each other so that you can not hear your neighbor snore, and move in.
Only in Oklahoma and Logan!
CHANCE MEETING
WITH THE OTHER ELDERS
So, we went into Oklahoma City on Saturday to pick some things at Sam's Club. We, most often, drive in on Route 66 rather than take the freeway. We had noticed a retro diner called "Steaks and Shakes" several times before and decided with should check this place out. So on our way home in the afternoon, we stopped. As we walked in, nothing was more noticeable than 5 young men sitting in a booth in dark suits. We introduced ourselves and seat ourselves at a table nearby. Were had a nice conversation with them. They told us that the best offering at the diner was the Burger Royale. A giant burger with a fried egg atop. When the waiter delivered their order the burger was at least 6"high. We could not face this kind of eating, so we ordered somethings much smaller. As the order was delivered to the Elders, Grandma said we should have bought their meals. I got up and found the waiter and told him to include their meal with ours. He looked rather puzzled and also reluctant. He looked back at the Elders and said they know something was up. Obviously, the Elders were frequent flyers at this place and with him. I think he was afraid of upsetting the Elders. I assured him that everything would be all right. The Elders were greatly appreciative. Lesson to be learned : IF YOU WANT TO KNOW WERE THE BEST FOOD VALUE IS, FOLLOW THE MISSIONARIES. ('food value' does not always equate to good food health. Food value hear means greatest quantity for the lowest price).
TRUST OF A GRANDCHILD
The other night Grandpa had a dream that one of his grandchildren was concerned about being able to trust the word of others. I could not identify which of my grandchildren was in the dream, but it was clear that I was talking to one of my grandchildren. I could not identify whether this was a grandson or granddaughter. This child had, some how, been hurt by an adult who they had faith and trust in. An important promise had been made and then unkept. This grandchild was looking to me for some reassurance, and restoration of trust that had been lost. Whatever happen must have been a life changing event because this child had fear in their eyes and facial expressions to indicate that no one could be trusted anymore. A terrible prospect for anyone. This child now felt all alone and was desperate for the loving comfort that comes to a child when faith and trust are constantly reinforced. I told the child that I could not control the actions of any one person except my own. That I could not take back the staggering hurt that had been experienced. I remember looking into this child's tearful eyes and saying, " But, You can trust Grandpa. You can rely on Grandpa. I will give my life, if required, to protect and honor your trust in me". The child's expression became a sweet and a longing smile of reassurance. We enjoyed a tearful embrace. I am presenting this experience here because it may have some meaning to my family or it may not. For me, I have not yet determined a purpose or whether there even is a purpose. Sometimes learning the meaning of things takes a while. Never the less, I thought it should be recorded.
SO LONG,FAREWELL, UNTIL NEXT POST
Love You ALL!
Please Review Our Post About Lillian, the previous post.




















No comments:
Post a Comment